Auburn Classic (Race Recap)

24 Jan

So obviously I’ve been failing alot lately (I feel like this post is totally de ja vu or however you spell it), I fell off the wagon with janathon (even though I did quite well with junathon) and some of my other goals are slightly out the window. So for the last time. I’m sorry.

I’ve decided now though that I need to stop appologizing and get to working. So no more sorrys from me. I’ve still been working out (mostly) and as you know (or probably don’t since I’ve been blog slacking) my FIRST ever MARATHON!!!! is coming up in just over a week (8 days 20 hours and 4 minutes from the initial point of this writing to be exacty, but whose counting?).

So as I’m leading up to this marathon I plan on getting up some race recaps (that never seem to get posted) in order to help me get back on track.  After my marathon I will then decide what I need to do in terms of blogging (it will still happen just need to set a strict schedule or something for myself).  And maybe work on not using as many () but if I do still overly use them then I am not appologizing for it. 🙂

So to start off my race recaps I’ll get into a race that I did last Sat.  For my training run I only needed to do 6 miles (as I am in the dreaded and uncertain taper time).  Lo and behold there was a 10k and 1/2 marathon going on in Auburn at the same time. Obviously I knew about this ahead of time and my running group decided that we would all use it as our training runs with the marathon peeps doing the 10k and the 1/2 ers doing the 1/2 (and a few of them used it as their actual race as they will not be traveling down to NOLA with us).

The Auburn Classic was awesome and very well put together (much better organized and sponsored than the 10k I did back in March/April where they ran out of food and water, even though it had a much more exciting finish on the 50 yard line inside the football stadium).  Back to the race at hand. It was organized by the local running club AORTA (Auburn Opelika Running (or is it Racing) Track Association) and had many sponsors including the favorite local running store Big Dog Running Company.  The had a nice little expo the day of packet pickup and the goody bag had a lot of little coupons a water bottle from one of the sponsors and a pretty nice technical shirt, which I will try to post a picture of when I get home.

Race day conditions weren’t the most ideal, although I did get to sleep in as the race wasn’t until 7:30 when we normally run at 6:00 Sat mornings.  It was freezing! That darn polar vortex made it about 25 degrees (and with the wind chill probably much colder), but they did have a few heat lamps set up down where the expo was, which made the anticipation for start time even more high strung.  Even with the cold weather there was still about 400+ runners that came out for the race with more people surprisingly opting for the 1/2 over the 10k. And there was approximately 100 or runners in a shadow run in the middle east with some of the U.S. soldiers stationed there.

I met up with most of my running group so that we could take a pre-race picture, unfortunately our valiant leader had come down with a leg injury so she was unable to race (and wont be able to run the marathon anymore) but she came in the cold to support us all.


Most of the Group Pre-Race (Amanda and Craig in the back ran their 1st 1/2 marathon!!)


I opted to up my interval times to a 4 minute run 1 minute walk for this race just to add a bit more endurance, which will hopefuly help when I drop down to lower intervals for the marathon.  After the national anthem we were off and running (literally). I quickly broke off from the rest of my running group as we were running at different interval times and soon it was just me (and obviously the other runners around me that I didn’t know). I didn’t run with music for this race for several reasons.  1. I’ve gotten used to not running with music as I normally have been running with someone who was my same pace, unfortunately she was in the Florida Keys that weekend for her goal race 1/2 marathon so it was just me. 2. My dog ate my running headphones and I hade not had time to go and get a new pair (more stories on the pup later I know yall have been missing them).  So I have been debating now if I am going to use music during my marathon, what do you think should I?

The course was hilly (although not too bad), which granted any race set in Auburn is going to be full of hills, which should help with the flat race of New Orleans. But it was wonderfully staffed. There were a multide of volunteers at traffic lights and intersections all very pleasant and cheering you on. There was not one opportunity for someone to get lost (like the finish on the 50 race) as there was always a volunteer pointing you in the right direction. And for standing out in the freezing cold not moving much they all seemed like they were having a good time.

Maybe it was the cold and wind but I felt like I was running extremely slow (even though I wasn’t and actually ran about 30 seconds faster than my 10k race in December). With my intervals obviously some people were passing me as they just ran the whole thing but as I got closer to the end I would eye certain people that either we would go back and forth or they were ahead of me that I decided in my head I wanted to pass at the finish line.  So for the last mile and a half during my run intervals I did a bit of speed(ish) work and would push hard to run faster. It paid off in the end because as we neared the finish line straightaway I put on the afterburners and was able to pass everyone that I had set out to pass.

I finished my 10k in 1 hr 3 minutes and 20 seconds and now (after my marathon) I have a new goal of breaking 1 hr for a 10k.  They had a fun dj at the finish line and after finishing I went to where the expo was set up and they had post race refreshments. They had muffins and bread from Panera Bread, doughnuts from a local doughnut shop, cupcakes , bananas fruit, water and whole containers of TrueMoo Chocolate milk! I have never had that brand of chocolate milk but let me tell you it was pretty good!


We are the last 2 standing for our group (for the marathoners that is)

I was the first one of my group to finish and as such my leader didnt see me cross the finish line (she had went to her car to grab a blanket but then realized that I may have already finished so she hurried back).  I stuck around and waited for the rest of the group to finish their race. Amanda was near the end and the sweetest thing happened. There was a bunch of ROTC guys in uniform and they escorted her to the finish. We later said that she did that on purpose so that she could have military guys bring her in.

photo 1

Yummy Chocoalte Milk!

They even had pretty neat little medals that everyone got for finishing the race and the top finishers in each category took home (I think) a giftcard to the local running store and 2nd/3rd places got a nice magnet with the race logo on it.

photo 2

Cold and windy finish!

All in all it was a wonderful race and I would definitely run it again!

Photo: Look what came in the mail yesterday!

Medals that all the finishers recieved

My name is Holley and it is just over a week until I run my first marathon!!!!!!!!!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: